Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

How Many Knives Do You Buy in a "Normal" Year; How about this Year?

Here we are at the midway point of the year or so. Buy the usual amount of knives this year? Or are the rising prices and the pressing economic crunch just too much. Has it affected you and what has it caused you to do? Buy Smarter, Buy Less, Pick Up Great Bargains?

Tags: 6, knife, month, purchase

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I try to buy all the new (non Chi-Comm) releases from the makers I collect but I don't limit it to a certain number per year but to a specific dollar value...Any left over funds will go to ones that I've wanted to buy because they're within my group(s) of knives I collect--Chute, Puukko etc...I usually don't collect commemoratives, anniversary or annual knives except the Hen and Rooster series of folders.

Maybe six to twenty or more, depending on geting caught by the missus.

I buy some knives as presents each year. Should I count them?
That's right Don, one knife I bought last year for a present I kept for myself...lol
I buy for Donnie as presents and he buys for me.  Works out pretty well
thats the way it should be jan that way one does not get a better present than the other.i have had to slow way down this year.hope next year is better......

I don't have a specific number bought each year but a specific amount that I had spent getting them...$X per year could mean thirty or forty blades or two or three--depending on the prices.

I collect a number of  different brands of knives (Grohmann, Ek, CRKT, Extrema Ratio, Entrek, Helle, Fallkniven etc.) and my first priority is to purchase all of their new editions/models for this year/buying season so I'll be able to stay current and since most are complete now and adding a new blade maybe every (other) year anything left over goes to purchase the types/styles of knives I collect (Chute, small or odd Bowies, Chisel Ground, Puukko,  etc.) and they can be from a commercial, semi or full custom maker.

Interesting strategy, tell me about Grohmann, its one I'm not familiar with.

Shlomo ben Maved said:

I collect a number of  different brands of knives (Grohmann, Ek, CRKT, Extrema Ratio, Entrek, Helle, Fallkniven etc.) and my first priority is to purchase all of their new editions/models for this year/buying season so I'll be able to stay current and since most are complete now and adding a new blade maybe every (other) year anything left over goes to purchase the types/styles of knives I collect (Chute, small or odd Bowies, Chisel Ground, Puukko,  etc.) and they can be from a commercial, semi or full custom maker.

Grohmann is a Canadian company located in Pictou, Nova Scotia, that builds the D.H. Russell Belt Knife, a Nessmuk variant that was awarded a permanent display in the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) New York City just after it was released in 1957 and it's still on display...You'll have seen the design copied by many makers--Cold Steel and Bark River come to mind.

The Nbr. 1 is a 4" blade $91.25, the Nbr. 2 is a Trout & Bird 3½" blade $85.25, Nbr. 3 is the 4" Boat knife and the Canadian Army issue knife $92.95, Nbr. 4 is the 5½" Survival $119.00 and with guthook $139.00.

The Nbrs. 100 5" $105.50, 101 4" $92.00, 103 3½" $115.75 and 104F 2½" $88.75 are various shaped and sized Skinning Knives--the Nbr. 101 Upswept Standard Skinner is one of the best balanced knives I've ever held in my hands and the blade pattern was carried over to the 105S 3½" Deep Woods Hunter, a more deluxe version that retails for $173.50/$125 Street and is a delight to the hand and eye...Their newer is the Nbr. 108S 5½" Deer & Moose $119.00 with an oversized handle and blade heavy design that is a sheer brute of a knife...

They have four folders, 260S Slimline (nail) $73.75, Z390S & Z390SW $45.75 & $49.95 featherlight lockbacks, R380S Drop point lockback (like the Buck 110 in style) $176.00 and they also have a belt sheath lockback folder version of their Nbr. 1 for the same price.

I wore a Nbr. 2 on my belt for probably 20 years and was never really hassled about it as it sits high up and tight to the body so is very unobtrusive and yet still is a lovely little knife for EDC…The handle, being upswept from the blade, prevents you from riding the blade with your palm and gets your knuckles off the cutting surface.

They have now introduced a flat grind blade for their models for less weight and ease of sharpening… They also have the Rosewood handled only fillet knives

RF800S  8"  $81.00, RF700S  7"  $79.00, RF600S  6"  $77.00, RF500S  5"  $74.75,

*All the blades are available with straight or partially serrated edge, in stainless (Euro 4110) or carbon (Euro C70 type) steels… European steels, somewhat comparable to AUS-6 are used in the pocket and lock knives. 

*Handle materials include all available: classic rosewood, resinwood, natural water buffalo horn, water buffalo jigged bone, Micarta or staghorn and with sturdy brass rivets.

*They have, which is especially nice, a number of sheath choices for any blade--pouch, snap, fold over that you can add pouches for a stone or loops for a firesteel to as well.

At present I have them all in regular and flat grind with rosewood and also the regulars with the stag handles and need three more (101, 103, 100) in buffalo to complete that line and am toying with the idea of completing a set in Micarta as well but not really pushing the matter too, too hard.

I also have a set of their kitchen knives in a block—actually two sets—a full tang set that came with my wife from her place—she’s knife crazy as well and a forged set that was given to us for a wedding present…My four daughters that have gotten married all had their bridal registries at Grohmann’s as well so they all have complete block sets in their homes.

Suggested retail prices shown (MSRP) are in Canadian dollars (CAD)

Nbr. 1 Original

Nbr. 1 Original flat grind

Additional pictures on My Page in folder labelled Grohmann

I started buying present knives the other day. Four were Kissing Krane folders not very expensive but I think will make them happy. I believe if you give someone a knife they will never forget it.
I need to start my present buying also.  My son will get a rough rider because that is what he collects, haven't figured out which one yet.  I like the look of that Grohmann.  Shlomo, is your wife on IKC also?

Don,

Thats why I buy online, no wear and tear on the card

Dot

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
46 minutes ago
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
yesterday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
yesterday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Friday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
Friday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!