Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3298

Replies to This Discussion

OH no!!  That is one happy deer.  Wish I had a peach tree to save pits for you
If the pits were good, save them from dinner too.  LOL

Jan Carter said:
OH no!!  That is one happy deer.  Wish I had a peach tree to save pits for you
OK, I have a few more in the fridge for this week.  I'll start saving them up. 

Things are starting to look "PEACHY" round here.  Looking to score some peaches this weekend.  Local Peach Festival is on Monday.

If I ever get the home computer fixed(replaced) I'm thinking it's now time for our third lesson...

We are waiting patiently, kinda

JJ,

I hope your getting some pits on this trip (and a new whittler or two) 

Jan Carter said:

We are waiting patiently, kinda

Sorry for the delay, Jan.  Mannaged to put togather a short lesson on pits.  Hopefully, if we have a connection in PA,  I can do the next lesson from there.  Maybe you can bring that Great Eastern whittler?

Lesson 3

The Pit.

Here in my corner of the world, the middle of July is the best time for buying fresh, local, peaches. While peach season has been in full swing for several weeks, the best pits are to be found at this point in the season and there are many roadside stands that sell fresh , local peaches.

Now is the time to enjoy some fresh peach ice cream, cobbler, fried pies, preserves….

About got myself sidetracked there for a minute;

Peaches come in 2 distinct varieties; Freestone, where the pit is easily removed from a cut peach; and Clingstone, where the pit is much harder to remove. Cleaning the pits is definitely easier with a freestone than a clingstone, though I seem to like the shapes of a clingstone better. This is why I keep a set of picks in my carving kit

Peach pits (or stones) are simply the hard seed covering from a peach.

I did say seed COVERING, as the actual seed is inside of the pit. While peaches themselves are great, DO NOT EAT THE SEED CERNAL INSIDE OF A PIT, THEY ARE POISONOUS. Some folks think that the inner seed is an almond, it’s not.

For the most part, you’ll want nice shaped, whole pits to work with. The best pits should be tan to brownish-red color.

Some pits may be a much lighter color, almost white,, but they tend to be softer and not as strong after they are carved. They are also lighter in weight.

Now that you’ve gathered your pits and cleaned them, you need to put them out to dry. If you put them in a zip lock bag, or something airtight they could mold.

After they’ve dried out, it’ll be time to do some carving. Now is a good time to look over “Carving Peach Pits“, by R.V. Dietrich once again.

If you come across some earlier season crops, which have been exposed to late winter frost and freezes, they tend to have damaged pits. Most times the pits from early crops will be split or even broken within the fruit.

If I find pits that are split open, but not broken in two, I like to make pit characters with them.

For the next lesson, you’ll need 3 things, your knife, a thumb guard and a pit. (If you forget the thumb guard, be sure to bring band-aids.  Might want to have some "on hand", anyway.)

Till next time…

JJ

I have notice the difference is how easily some pits clean that others.  I have an old toothbrush that will take most of the peach off and then others I have to remove them by hand.  Fingernails work great for that.  I certainly will make sure I have bandaids on hand

Yep,

A freestone comes out fairly clean, but you'll definately need "something extra" to get a clingstone clean.

Have you tried to carve into one yet?  Just to test it?

No but I do have 2 drying in a bowl on the kitchen counter.  Cant wait.  BTW I cant draw a stright line so I am hoping this works out.  One way or the other I will let you see it when I make my attempt

You'll do fine, I'm sure.  I can't draw a strait line either.  I think that I'm the only one that can cut a circle with a skill saw.

With any luck, I'll be able to connect to some wi-fi,  in PA.  Hope to show the process of a simple basket.

Can't remember who it was here at iKC that carved a face.  I've been looking, but I can't find the old posts...

OK, my pits appear to be ready and work hours may be slowing down....Carve a pit, I feel that project getting closer

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
22 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
22 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
yesterday
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Apr 13
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John