Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I thought it would be fun to share any makers you might know of that don't get the exposure they should. In my state we have a few but I am starting with one from California. Ivan Maras, I found Ivan in knife mag ( If you really want to know which one I will find it) Ivan mostly makes wood carving knives I asked him to make me a camping / hunting knife. It is forged 01 with a walnut handle. and a heavy 9/10 oz leather pouch sheath. He leaves a few forging marks on the ricasso as evidence of the process. The rest of the blade is highly polished and flat ground.
He even gave her a name "Roxanne". We don't hit the woods as often as I would like but when we do I am always glad she is with me.
I am going to contact Ivan before I post his contact info to make sure he is OK with it.( I should have done that before writing this) One last thing Ivan is a Christian and his mark reflects that if it means anything to you. It does to me.
I would like to hear about any makers you know of that might not have the exposuer they should have. Or ones from your home town / state.

Views: 1448

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Really nice. I have not seen either of those makers but will have to look for them. I have another on order and when it comes in I will post it and the maker.

I would like to add CHAX KNIVES to this list of little known makers.  Chase Axinn lives in Long Lake, NY and makes a variety of knives.  Even better, he will make a knife you design, and in the steel you want - assuming he can get bar stock.

Here is a knife in M-2 steel he made. Black canvas Micarta handles with blue highlights.  It is a user.  M-2 is high carbon, and you can see some "patina" forming from the sheath.

The one below he made from S30V steel/Orange G-10 handles.  Another user as you can tell from the scratches.

Well I like David Taber DR T Knives he trained under Tony Bose and really makes a great knife. Not a fixed blade but folders 

however I wouldnt do him justice if I didnt mention his name.

I would like to add Matt Lesniewski of ML Knives. He hammer forges carbon steel knives the same way they did in the 1700 and 1800's. He uses no power tools, just hammers and files. I have bought several from him and if you are looking for a fixed blade user, you can't beat Matts Knives.

McCoy Knives Mt. Ida Arkansas. This is a little knife company, I just found out about. I've been in that area of Arkansas and never knew it was there. We are trying to find out more about this little USA maker, so anyone with more info, please let us know.  

Robert, just by coincidence, I posted a discussion on McCoy Knives 2 days ago-http://www.iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/mccoy-knives-mt-ida-ark... ( I guess great minds think alike, LOL) So far Terry is the only one familiar with them. Hope our Ozark brethren can fill in some details- Jan suggested asking A.G. Russell, but I have never had the honor of talking to him, myself.

Robert Burris said:

McCoy Knives Mt. Ida Arkansas. This is a little knife company, I just found out about. I've been in that area of Arkansas and never knew it was there. We are trying to find out more about this little USA maker, so anyone with more info, please let us know.  

From my friend AG Russell, this little known company formerly made knives for Camillus. He is unsure of who might run them today, does not carry them. So perhaps we need to invite them to iKnifeCollector and see what they are all about . Guess I will look for a number!
John McCain said:

Robert, just by coincidence, I posted a discussion on McCoy Knives 2 days ago-http://www.iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/mccoy-knives-mt-ida-ark... ( I guess great minds think alike, LOL) So far Terry is the only one familiar with them. Hope our Ozark brethren can fill in some details- Jan suggested asking A.G. Russell, but I have never had the honor of talking to him, myself.

Robert Burris said:

Just checking in.  Ivan Maras again. Nice knife, great guy.

Welcome back lg&m.

We would all love to hear more about this little USA knife company. Thanks Steve.

"Not a company Just one man. Sadly I am not sure he is making many knives lately. Thanks for the welcome."

Hope to post some pics later today of little known maker Bill Faulk. Just recently bought a knife from him.

Frank Bradley of California-Used to have his own website 11 years ago,and active on several knife forums with the screen name "caveman"- Most noted for beautiful bowies with desert ironwood and tiger maple- Not sure if he has retired or passed- Unfortunately, almost impossible to find images of his work on the web anymore- Most of the pics I had I lost in a hard drive crash a few years back- Here are 3 that I managed to find- Although they are beautiful, far from being his best work IMHO.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service