Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I thought it would be fun to share any makers you might know of that don't get the exposure they should. In my state we have a few but I am starting with one from California. Ivan Maras, I found Ivan in knife mag ( If you really want to know which one I will find it) Ivan mostly makes wood carving knives I asked him to make me a camping / hunting knife. It is forged 01 with a walnut handle. and a heavy 9/10 oz leather pouch sheath. He leaves a few forging marks on the ricasso as evidence of the process. The rest of the blade is highly polished and flat ground.
He even gave her a name "Roxanne". We don't hit the woods as often as I would like but when we do I am always glad she is with me.
I am going to contact Ivan before I post his contact info to make sure he is OK with it.( I should have done that before writing this) One last thing Ivan is a Christian and his mark reflects that if it means anything to you. It does to me.
I would like to hear about any makers you know of that might not have the exposuer they should have. Or ones from your home town / state.

Views: 1448

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Those are nice John and I appreciate your sharing them with us.  It is harder and harder to see some of the older knives online.  Regrettably some forums dont use imbedded pics they use pics you have hosted somewhere else.  If you delete anything or close that hosting, they then delete from the forums also :( 

My goodness John those are beautiful and can see why they are sonworth saving!

Knife makers in unsuspecting places

orvisEarlier today, I was looking through the new catalog from my favorite clothier – Orvis. My wife calls them old man clothes, but what can I say…I am an old knife collector.

Even though I don’t fly fish, or get decked out in my Orvis hat to boots outfits to go deep woods, I really like the look of their clothes. This day, however, I was causally skimming through the pages not looking for anything in particular and whala- a custom knife maker’s knife pops right off the page.DanielWinkler

Yes, Daniel Winkler is an entrepreneur/marketeer as much as he is an award-winning custom knife maker. The exposure value of having a third page in their catalog, plus the Orvis endorsement is tremendous. Good job, Daniel.

The knife is a rugged Limited Edition Elk antler handled Damascus.

Winkler Orvis Limited EditionNow I like Orvis all the more…but I still can’t bring myself to order the “Winter coat without an equal.” It’s a casual, oh, so cool looking, leather jacket for a meager $2750.

Image credit:winklerknives.com and Orvis.com

Hahahahaha.  Nice looking knife, but if the price of it is in keeping with the price of the leather jacket, I'll have to pass.  I have trouble paying Filson prices for clothing.

LOL, never seen anything inexpensive at an Orvis shop

Jan, I'd have to disagree about Winkler. He's FAR from little known.

Daniel Winkler is a Mastersmith with the ABS and probably the most well known "period style" bladesmith. He's DEFINATELY not cheap but does produce high quality stuff. His Rawhide sheaths are known to be among the best in the industry.

He also runs a tactical line of knives nowadays under the Winkler II brand. Much loved by those in the military.

Found this fellow on FB when he started posting in iKC FB, kind of made his claim to fame when he used his knife to cut a romance novel in half. He stopped making knives right now, got married and has a family so one day he may come back as a knifemaker, but in the meantime here is what I bought , the knifemaker name is Bill Faulk:

that's a great looking piece, way to go hog!

Steve Hanner said:

Thanks Tim, I am quite pleased with it and kinda sorry he is not doing it now.:(

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service