Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Many of us have dreamt of  "improving"  our knives.

Some have even implemented their improvements.

Here is a place to share and document those modifications.

Before & after pics are great .. I realize this isn't always possible .. I did some of mine years ago. A statement of design goals or modification purpose is a good place to start.

Identifying the desired changes & modifications is encouraged. As is a description of

the tools, any problems encountered, & methods used in the process.

A summary statement & pic of the final result will wrap it up !! 

Also .. a place to share our mistakes.

Share what works & what doesn't.

Conquered a problem .. post a solution.

Up against a problem .. query for another's advice.

Views: 8323

Replies to This Discussion

Wow is the word! very nice walk through on how you did the work. The outcome is wonderful.
I appropriated a golf ball from the dogs .. gave Dan's tip on file handles a whirl ..

I checked the dia of the handle shafts .. @ the knurled area ..

I suspect these would be described as having 3mm (0.118") shafts .. but, they vary ..

.. 0.115" ~ 0.122" ...... I chose a 7/64" (0.109") drill bit ..

.. the result surprised me .. the "ball" distributed the forces such that no tender spot resulted in my palm ..

.. stash a golf ball for the next time the drill press is set up with a 7/64 ~ (0.109") drill bit ..

I certainly second this one !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....... Thanks Dan ........ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my latest wharncliffe mods.

Mod Alox Pioneer with scissors

I wanted a Victorinox Alox 93mm with scissors. But only the 91mm Cellidor scaled SAKs has scissors. I decided to try to exchange the woodsaw from a Alox Farmer with the scissors from a 91mm Climber. And it worked.

Take a Farmer and Climber and as a result you get an Alox Pioneer with Scissors.

First I make some new pins from 3mm brass rod. With the ball peen hammer and some patience I make the rivet head for the front scale.

Because the 91mm tools has a 2.5mm hole and the 93mm Alox a 3mm pivot, I have to drill out the hole from scissors and backspring. I use a 3mm carbide drill, because the tools are hardened.

Disassembling the Alox with drill and punch.

Now assembling all the stuff.

Fortunately the back pivot from 93mm knife is at the right position for the backspring of the 91mm scissors. To give a bit more snap to the spring, I added a brass tube to the pivot.

Because the backsidetools from 91mm knife, in this case the hook, cannot be mounted on the Alox knife, the knife has a blank on the back. But this is only a esthetic issue and doesn’t impact the function at all.

After assembling the knife I do shorten the rivet on the backside, fix the knife on a steel chunk and use a thin rubber tube with a hole to protect the alu scales from hammer.

And this is the result.

Martin .. this is great stuff .. thanks a bunch for posting this !! I can generalize this info to other slipjoints !! Very sweet result !! A picture's worth a thousand words .. nice pictorial !!! Thanks again !!!
Martin,
You're the MAN! Very nicely done! I especially like your use of the brass tube bushing to increase the snap and the thin rubber tube to protect the scales. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing your excellent pictorial record.
Terry
Thanks for posting your process, I like the idea of the rubber around the pin to protect the scale while hammering.
Dale,

You are most welcome!

Just don't drop it. It becomes a flying leathal weapon.

Hehe...

I have a 1/2 inch shaft

that I use on my grinder, also I used my Foredom with various diameter sanding drums,

A couple days ago, a neighbor came over and handed me a section of truck spring and a lawn mower blade, 17 year old kid, a friend of my son, then he handed me his Gerber folder with a broken pocket clip. He said " Mr Howland, you can keep the spring and mower blade and can you fix my pocket clip?" I smiled and said, "sure think kid! thanks for the materials" I fixed it that night, seeing his smile when I gave it back to him the next day made it all worth it.

..where were you when I was a kid ??

Big big kudos to you Dan !!!!

imo .. can never do enough for the kids .. imo

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by