Pal Blade and Tool Company
Pal Blade Company began in Plattsburgh, New York in 1935 as a merger between the Utica Knife and Blade Company and the Pal Blade Company of Chicago. On January 17, 1941 the company formally purchased the cutlery tooling and machinery of Remington Arms Company Cutlery Division, and set up a new factory in an existing building on Bigelow Street in Holyoke, Mass. They were in production by June, 1941 continuing many of the Remington patterns and also developed a line of their own in both hunting knives and pocketknives.
During World War 2 the company made the M3 knife, the M1 bayonet, the M4 bayonet, and some pocketknives such as the TL-29. They also made the Navy Mark 1 and Mark 2 sheath knives. They also supplied the military with millions of razor blades from their Plattsburgh factory. Their RH-36 pattern (Remington Hunting, Pattern 3, 6 inch blade) was purchased in large quantities by the military and sold to servicemen through the Army PX system.
Following the war they continued to make a line of commercial knives, but by 1953 the machinery was effectively worn out, and it was decided to close the factory. Pal Blade Company of Plattsburgh was acquired by American Safety Razor in 1953. They continued to manufacture razor blades, and remain in business making Personna and Bic razors and other products today under the American Safety Razor (ASR) company name.