Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A KNIFE MAKER'S WIFE WHO MAKES MINIATURE KNIVES

by Linda Ferguson

Being a knifemaker’s wife is what got me started making knives. I have always
been a craftsperson—needlework of all kinds, beadwork, woodwork, etc. When I
married Lee Ferguson in 1999, I wasn’t even interested in knives. As watched him
work and attended shows and shop tours with him, I found myself challenged by a
new craft. I saw him throwing away tiny bits and pieces of beautiful materials
left over from his work, and my imagination kicked in. I prefer to make
miniatures because that is what takes my eye and challenges me the most. It also
makes use of a lot of the scrap from my husband’s knives. I like wearable
knives. I want them to look like jewelry. As I learn the techniques, my knives
get better. Since 2004 I have been a member of The Knifemakers’ Guild. My
husband has been a voting member since 1983. All the knifemakers I have ever
met are all very willing to help anyone who wants to make knives. They all want
to share the craft in any way they can. Women especially are encouraged to
learn, and there are more and more doing so. Children are also learning at very
young ages. Having done a lot of woodworking, I was familiar with power
equipment. Most women haven’t had the opportunity to use power equipment and
are rightly afraid of it, which is probably why most are hesitant to try
knifemaking. Learning to handle the equipment safely is always the first step.
One of my biggest challenges in making miniatures has been finding the right
equipment. Everyone says miniatures are harder to make than the bigger knives. I
made some larger ones (5-6 inches) to have for my first Guild inspection, and I
have to agree that in a lot of ways they are easier to make—more room for
mistakes. However, I found that most of the problem is having appropriately
sized equipment. My husband built me a grinder that will take from an 8” to a ½”
diameter wheel and also gives room for my hands VERY near the wheels. I got a
combination micro-mini mill-drill-lathe for Christmas. Now, if I could just find
some very small, very strong clamps! Some women would definitely be more
comfortable with the smaller equipment. I have very small hands, and I can’t
even change some of the settings on some of my husband’s large machines. I know
how, I am just not strong enough. Most knifemaker’s wives find that they enjoy
the shows more if they can help at the knifemaker’s table. If they will learn
about the knives their husbands make—how they are made, what materials are used,
what is special about each knife—then they can answer questions about the
knives. This will not only increase sales, but will allow their husbands to
leave the table long enough to see what others are making and what supplies are
available. Sharing the craft with your husband also strengthens the bond of
marriage.

Views: 8056

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, great knives, if I ever leave Louisiana I'm might go to Alaska. I'd like to see more.
There is a graceful simplisity to that one, I really like it.  Maybe we could get that bus to take us next year Robert
I have the envie for a white handle knife and damascus blade. We'll catch that bus.
Well stay tuned I have some more makers we may want to see on that tour

And here we have some wondeful works of art by Chantel Gilbert

Part of Chantal Gilbert’s work stems from a desire to codify the knife in a different way. This very personal appropriation transforms a utilitarian tool into a true work of art. From indispensable to undesirable, there is a narrow margin, a thin edge. The artist’s basic preoccupation lies within the exploration of a frequently obscured dimension of the knife: its ritual and spiritual aspects which, when sublimated, add to the perception of the object. Thus, a new universe bursts open to multiple readings. The work of Chantal Gilbert truly is multi-edged...

While at this years Blade show, one of the women I was sharing a little time outside with was telling me this story.As I understand it this knife maker came to the Blade show to take her ABS  journeyman test a couple of years ago.  Apparently the airline lost the luggage that her knives in it on the way from Austrailia.  Now I dont know about you but that would put a severe crampa in my travels and my day.  It is said she was calm and just beleived her case would get there before time ran out.  Well sure enough her equipment showed up and she was able to complete and pass her tests.  Here is a video of her rope test...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4upDfusJmg

and here is a sample of the work she creates Gold nuggets, Red Mallee Burl, snakeskin, old iron parts from a mine...

Chicago Knife Expo September 2010
Best Fixed Blade
Judges Award

From as far back as I can remember, the world of knife-making has surrounded me. Memories of watching my father in his shop, the late-nights, the endless hours, stand out the clearest in my mind. His pieces always fascinated me. I remember spending much time studying them, understanding them, searching for flaws I could never find. Through the years I was fortunate enough to attend his knife shows, meet collectors, engravers and makers, and listen to their discussions on the art form. Each show left me feeling alive and filled with ideas.

I have always enjoyed working with my hands, exploring the different ways in which materials can be manipulated. Art has always been an important part of my life. Over the years I’ve taken every opportunity to expand my skills as an art maker, taking classes in painting, still life drawing and composition, and now studying part-time at the University of Western Ontario in their Visual Arts Department.

The idea of making knives was something I thought about for many years. It took some time before I could admit it. Perhaps because I was intimidated by the caliber of my father’s work. But as I attended more of his shows, the desire could no longer be contained. My mind became so full of ideas; they simply had to be realized. I approached my father, who agreed to apprentice me. From the first knife I completed I knew I had found my new passion. The indescribable itch in my fingers, which had always been for a paintbrush, was quickly replaced with the overwhelming desire to hold a file. I haven’t looked back since.

Elizabeth Loerchner

My career in custom knifemaking began in 1986 when I met Buster Warenski who taught me the art of engraving.  I was taking an engraving class, which he taught, and later that year we were married.  Within one year I was engraving every knife we made and also engraved for many other knifemakers and customers all over the world.  Over the years I worked in many areas of knifemaking helping with knife designs and also making many parts of our knives, as well as doing all the embellishment on them. We had a great marriage and awesome relationship until he was so unexpectedly taken away forever.   He used to joke that he was going to teach me how to grind the blades so he could just retire, but I quickly let him know that there was no way this was going to happen.   I often wish now that he had taught me his techniques to grind the knife blades.

After Buster’s passing, I had a strong desire to make knives and continue to make the great art knives that I had worked on and had a unique partnership with for the past 20 years.  A past student of Buster’s, Curt Erickson, had offered to help teach me to grind the way Buster had taught him.  He was the only person Buster had really tutored in knifemaking and I graciously accepted his offer.  After working with Curt and with his help I won the Buster Warenski award for the best Art Knife at the New York knife show in February 2006.   We were married in 2006, and now work together in a new and exciting partnership in knifemaking. There will be many fabulous knives in our future together as we are dedicated to making some of the best art knives possible.

Julie Warenski-Erickson

I like these.  WOW!

Jan Carter said:

There seem to be many more women creating art in the knife world than I originally considered.  This is Harumi Hirayama's wonderful work

Clint,

An amazing amount of detail in these.  It is unusual to read much on the usabilty of these types of art knives but there seems to be more out there on hers than any other at the moment.  I have read good and bad about the steel quality on Ms. Hirayama's knives.   I am hoping to see one one at one of the shows this year.  I would love to check it out in person

Robert had asked me about any new knives from the ladies here.  Lynn Dawson has this one out now and it is a beautyBuffalo Horn Handles, mosaic pins and climbing vine filework

Our own Dellana told me about this wonderful lady and her beautiful knives.  We may even have an opportunity to see her on here.  I gotta tell you, this lady some some extremely nice knives and the file work is just out of this world

Ten years ago I began creating luxury Laguiole knives. Of late my  
husband Didier Roques has joined me in this fantastic venture. He is a  
great addition, having a background in precision engineering and  
pattern work. I have also had the privilege to work with Cathy  
Capelle, an important name in french cutlery.  We work with pure  
respect for tradition and quality materials.
All our work is handwork, guilloche, infiles, hand crafted hilts in  
precious ebony, boxwood root, silver and soon dinosaur gem-bone.  I am  
a sculptor and working in the lost wax technique,create small parts in  
precious metals, that are worked into the body of our Laguiole knives.  
Heads of boar and deer, dragonflies, bees and flowers, things of  
nature and the wood.
We are located in the tiny village of Arnac/Dourdou in South Aveyron  
Provence. If you are traveling in the aria, don’t hesitate to stop in,  
share a coffee and my passion for the Laguiole, An exceptional knife,  
the knife of your life!

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
19 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
19 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
21 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
21 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
21 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Apr 13
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John