Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This is an article I read on another Blog that I follow but I thought it would be of some interest here.

Lately I've had a number of emails asking why we don't see more knives from GEC with 440C stainless blades.  From the first knives GEC started producing in 2006, the Tidioute and Northfield 1095 blades have always outpaced the number of GEC trademarked knives with 440C blades.  I've always been curious but never asked until today.

What it comes down to is a matter of availability, time and ultimately, cost.  I'll try to explain it as simply as possible and refuse to get bogged down in details. 

Great Eastern is aware that price is a consideration to their customers/collectors so they have a balancing act to perform.  Make the highest quality knife possible, using U.S. materials, that's affordable and still make a profit. 

Rolled steel is produced in thicknesses to meet industry standards.  When you purchase steel for blades, you try to match the rolled steel as closely as possible to the blade thickness being produced.  Here's where it gets a bit confusing.

For the sake of discussion, assume the finished knife blade is going to be 1/8" thick.  You can buy 1095 steel that's just slightly thicker which makes it possible to finish the blade with minimal grinding which can be done in house.  The same rolled steel in 440C is just enough thicker that it requires an additional milling process (which has to be done outside) to grind it down to a workable thickness.  In addition to the cost for the additional milling is the higher initial cost of Stainless over 1095 resulting in a more expensive knife. 

As a result, the 1095 knives seem to best fit the balance of quality and price.  That's not to say the 440C doesn't sell as well as the 1095 knives but it's somewhat comparable to serialized and unserialized knives.  There are customers that don't want to spend the extra $8 or $10 for the serial number & COA.  I'm one of those oddballs that don't want to spend the extra $$$'s for 440C, particularly when I like the characteristics of a high quality carbon steel.  For my fixed blades I may go to a stainless, but my pocket knife I prefer in high carbon.

At any rate, I hope that helps and a special thanks to Pat for having the patience to try and explain it to me!!!

Thanks Greg, for always letting me share the info!!

Views: 398

Replies to This Discussion

I thought this may be of some interest to GEC collectors, these are the last three year production totals.

I will put the first two years on the next post.

Attachments:
Here are the 2006 & 2007 production totals
Attachments:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
10 hours ago
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
yesterday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
yesterday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Friday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
Friday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!