Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

After a prolonged discussion on the comment board over on Outdoor Living, Charles, Robert, and I agreed that the the talk on the comment wall probably needed a home  in an actual discussion.   We also agreed that IKC Arsenal might be a better place for it that Outdoor living.  So here is a place to get talk about your air guns, both BB and Pellet.   Perhaps even airsoft and paintball if there is isn't already a place for those.  

I'll get things started.  (but feel free to let 'er rip and post your own images and stories, especially varmint/small game hunts1)

I've owned three BB guns an one BB/Pellet hybrid.  All the lower end Daisy/Crosman variety.  Curently all I own is a Daisy Red Ryder (there is a story behind its ownership, but it can wait.)  I'm looking to step it up a notch and want to get a decent  singal shot .177 pellet gun capable of 1,000 FPS for both plinking and possible varmint, small game use.  But I need to learn more about pellet guns before I start tossing down money.  My two main concerns are

1) spring piston vs. gas piston

2) Break barrel vs. pump

I assume their are trade off with both types of systems but I've not heard much about why one is better than the other or when a person would prefer one system over the other.

Also any opinions on the Gamo Silent Cat or the Crosman 1377 pistol would be appreciated.  Both are on my short list.

Gamo Silent Cat (1000 FPS match grade lead)

Crosman 1377 pistol (Variable pump up to 650 FPS)  Optional stock and numerous upgrades available.

Views: 1685

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have anything to add to what you have posted except that I am also in the hunt for a good varmint air-rifle.  Ideally one that could take out small raccoons at very close range (10 ft)

Tobias, thanks, you have done a grand job of setting this up. I know we will all learn and enjoy things here. I can't wait to hear about all the different type air rifles out there. My cousins owns a large caliber air rifle. It shoots a large pellet at the same speed as a black powder rifle, so air rifles can be serious weapons, not to be considered a child's toy.

The majority of us may own or have owned air rifles but as with every sport it has a lot of technology and information that most of us have no idea of. This new group may help all of us learn more about this fantastic sport.

Really? a .45 or .50 cal air rifle?  I've never heard of that.  I do know there are .25 cal air rifles.  I can't imagine that much bigger than that anything having enough propulsion to be effective.  I've been wrong before though...

upon further review- there is indeed a .50 caliber air rifle the "Dragons Claw"  Good night!  It can shoot a 300+ grain projectile!  The wonders never cease!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t-7lEPKeWY

S
orry for being skeptical Robert.  I couldn't wrap my mind around an air rifle that big

Toby, years ago I had a 1377. Very good little plinker. Used it to dispatch small varments in my folks back yard. Not sure about now, but back then you could order a shoulder stock for them.

Benjamin, as I was say in my first post, there's a lot of new technology in air rifles. We will all learn more about the new stuff and this new group will help. I don't claim to know all about this new technology but I have been exposed to some of it. I guess, I surprise some of ya'll, that this ole river rat has seen so much but I do come into contact with hunters and fisherman, that are on the leading edge of things.

I have seen this monster air rifle first hand and it could bring down a deer at close range. Thanks for the research.

Benjamin, there are large caliber air rifles and they have been around longer than you might think.  In fact Lewis and Clark carried one on their expedition in 1804.  It was capable of killing up to deer sized game.  It was also a 20 shot repeater.  And get this, it was Austrian army issue for 35 years.  It was invented around 1779.  You can read more about it at this link.  Maybe our technology isn't so new after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

Benjamin Black said:

Really? a .45 or .50 cal air rifle?  I've never heard of that.  I do know there are .25 cal air rifles.  I can't imagine that much bigger than that anything having enough propulsion to be effective.  I've been wrong before though...

For pistols I like the Crosman 1720T Target PCP. It has a Lothar Walther barrel and shoots at 750fps. Also the RWS LP8 Mag is 700fps also and German made...$240 I think. The Umarex Morph 3x is 600fps and only $80.

The Gamo Hunter Extreme shoots a .177 pellet 1650fps, but I've heard the Benjamin Rogue .357 Mag is the most powerful. Or you could thread one of your .22 barrels and get you a suppressor for a few hundred plus the stamp. I have blank copies of my 1 party revocable Living Trust.

Do pneumatic or gas pistons need to be recharged?  Is there more issue with these bleeding out than with spring weakening and/or breaking? 

How does temperature change affect the different spring and gas pistons?

Ray, those are a little too rich for my blood at the moment.   The Umarek looks interesting and the price is right but it has a non-removable CO2 cartridge.  I'm assuming that needs to be refilled from time to time.  I'm trying to avoid CO2 -- but I know plenty of people swear by it!

Ray White said:

For pistols I like the Crosman 1720T Target PCP. It has a Lothar Walther barrel and shoots at 750fps. Also the RWS LP8 Mag is 700fps also and German made...$240 I think. The Umarex Morph 3x is 600fps and only $80.

The Gamo Hunter Extreme shoots a .177 pellet 1650fps, but I've heard the Benjamin Rogue .357 Mag is the most powerful. Or you could thread one of your .22 barrels and get you a suppressor for a few hundred plus the stamp. I have blank copies of my 1 party revocable Living Trust.

My mind is completely blown.  Before today I never dreamed of a larger air gun than a .25 (which I thought was intense to begin with) and now I've learned that air guns twice that size have been around for more than two and a quarter centuries!  Fascinating stuff, I can't BELIEVE they used them in the military.  

I absolutely love this site.  I joined because I was hunting for a specific knife (if any of you have an old knife stamped "B" please let me know) and now I'm learning about amazing air rifles. Incredible. Thank you!

Hey, why don't we post a photo of our air rifles? My air rifle is a Big Cat, with a fluted barrel and shoots at 1000fps. The young ones gun is called a Shadow and shoots at 1000fps. They are both made by Gamo and shoot really well, for their price. Lets see ya'll air guns.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service