Welcome Home....

A place to share.

Pictures ..(internal views).. of dis-assembled locking mechanisms.

A visual aid to the understanding of their internal workings.

Views: 586

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a button lock I picked up recently that certainly has the locking system in place.

Note: position of sear pin in a "locked" position .. the blade is fully closed.

Note: position of sear pin in "unlocked" position .. the blade is not quite fully open.

Exploded views .. of sorts.

Note: the slot in the sear pin .. the spring seats in it.

Dale that is interesting how it all comes apart like that

Thanks, Jan.

I have an interest in unique locking mechanisms. I also believe viewing the internal components & their interaction facilitates an easier understanding of the overall system's  functioning.

However, not everyone cares to dis-assemble a knife just for that insight, or needs too .. while I rather enjoy it !!!  Sooooo, it's sharing time :)

Jan Carter said:

Dale that is interesting how it all comes apart like that

This is a GANZO .. Model G707.  Chinese manufacture.

I dis-assembled one for an internal view.I'm not sure how the blade was blanked out .. wire EDM / water jet / I don't know .. whatever method used was not interrupted between the pivot hole & the spring hole .. note the small slot connecting the two. 

This specific design approach results in a weak area @ the base of the blade. There is little material left between where the stop pin contacts the blade in the open position .. and the area removed for the locking pin in the open position. I suspect lateral forces could cause a failure at this point .. i.e. snap the blade off if ever pried.

Looks sweet though .. till one see's that.  For < $20 .. I'll live with it !!!

RSS

Franks Classic Knives

Reed Cutlery Company

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

iKC discount code L47073BJSVWI

Cherokee Knife Supply

© 2014   Created by Jan Carter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service