Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

New to collecting/ using. Have read some good reviews if both. Is either brand superior to the other, or are they pretty much the same. How to they compare with other SMKW and Frost lines?

Tags: Rider, Rough, knives

Views: 2115

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Billy Oneale on August 15, 2013 at 23:00

RR is a little better fit and finish to me, but truthfully, some are probably made in the same factory in China. I have both and they are ok for the cost of them.

Reply by Pat Kennedy on August 15, 2013 at 23:19

They're cheap and offshore built but Rough Rider in particular has committed to reviving classic frame styles like the congress and split back spring whittler as well as bone handles in many colors and mother of pearl. Makes for good collection building potential numbers-wise, but value-wise I don't see either brand being likely to appreciate much. I have several RR's and a couple of SW's in my collection. They look nice on their own merits but when compared to a higher quality US-built knife like a Case XX or even a Schrade, they really do pale in comparison.

Reply by Tobias Gibson on August 16, 2013 at 6:21

First, I need to make a full disclosure, I have over 100 Rough Riders. 

Have I ever come across a bad one?  Yes.  And unlike Case,  I was either reimbursed for my shipping back to SMKW or was sent a replacement no questions asked.   So SMKW stands behind their house brands better than W.R. Case & Sons stands behind the most collected knife in America.

Next have I ever had a problem with a Frost knife?  Yeah.  It is damn near impossible to return and considering the price, it isn't worth the postage!  It is like pissing away $10.

With that said, I have a couple Steel Warriors that I really enjoy.  I have one Black Hills knife that was also decently made.  But the "Frost" brand knives and the "Double Warrior" knife I have were just awful.  Lousy fit, blades not closing properly, etc.  Frost loves to put that silly sticker on the blade which you need to take off because it often causes problems with the blade closing.

The main problem I have with Frost, is they aren't exactly honest about where their knives are made.  They tell you "German Steel" but the blasted thing is made in Pakistan or China.  They lead you to believe they're knives are 440 Stainless when only certain Folding knives are 440, others are just a 400 series.  They say you can ship stuff back but they don't tell you how much it will cost you to ship it back.

I have never had a problem sending things back to SMKW.  They are much more upfront about their steel and where production is done. I think this, by and large is why I own over 100 rough riders and less that 10 Frost made knives in total.  I trust SMKW and I don't trust Jim Frost.

Reply by D ale on August 16, 2013 at 17:02

I have a number of Frost's Steel Warrior line .. the Lockback Whittler & Copperlock clone in particular. They are NOT inexpensive .. they're cheap.

Cheap prototyping platforms. I love modifying pocketknives & have learned an enormous amount destroying some of these. I purchase them knowing they will have a finite life. No chance of return. It literally cost's less to buy a new one.

That silly sticker you say. Yuppers .. Jim could have saved some more money there. The blade temper is such that they snap quite easily .. which is perhaps .. preferred to bending.

NOTE: I received a "freebie" in a Frost Cutlery order that my Sweetie literally made me throw away. It was dangerous .. lock didn't work .. birdseye pivot rivet horribly loose .. serrated section wickedly gruesome .. too small for genuine use ............................. I think it's still in the garage somewhere.

I've some Rough Riders too. For the money .. I'm amazed @ the quality & finish. One of the best bargains out there. Respectable hard working steel .. models you won't find elsewhere .. a warranty that means something .. @ a reasonable cost.

just an opinion .... mine

Reply by Charles Sample on August 16, 2013 at 17:11

I only have five Rough Riders but am very pleased with them.  I haven't used them, just stuck them in my collection, but they all seem to be well made knives.

http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/albums/rough-rider-3

I have three Frost knives.  The Bowie was given to me about 15 years ago.  It has stood up well to the abuse I have given it.  The small fixed blade I picked up for $1 in a store that was clearing out their knives.  The Ocoee River fish knife I picked up in my recent visit to SMKW because it looked good and fits in my fish knife collection.

http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/albums/frost

Reply by Chuck Parham on August 17, 2013 at 4:41

I have a lot more Rough Riders than anything else in my collection. I don't care for the Rockwell test sticker or dimple as I think it detracts from the looks. Sure you can peel off the sticker but not the dimple. Anyone who knows knives will spot this immediately. The Frost brand has picked up a reputation that it made all by themselves as far as quality and customer service is concerned. RR has done the same but on the opposite swing of the pendulum.

RR has always been backed up by SMKW with a flawless track record. I've heard enough war stories about trying to get good customer service from Frost to stay away from them for the most part.

The only exception is many of you know I started learing to do Scrimsaw during my 13 1/2 months of unemployment. Now that I am back to work, I'll be buying better tools to continue building my skills. I'm also ready to start on items other than cheap plastic which gave me a cheap medium to learn the art. I want to do knife handles. This is where I think Frost will start seeing my address popping up on his shipping list.

They ceratinly have inexpensive or cheap, whichever term you prefer, knives. Smoothe bone handles for less than $10 are the ticket for this endeavor. If I botch an image, no problem. I'll chuck it into a drawer somewhere and those will go to my grandson later. Those that do turn out will become gifts or be sold. What the new owner does with them is their business.

As far as looks, yeah Frost knives has some very pretty pieces they sell on their CC show. They can add some flash to a display. If you're buying knives to build a serious collection you're not even reading this discussion group. If you're just trying to build a nice collection of a variety then Frost will probably be a part of it to some degree.

Frost vs. Rough Rider?? I love all knives but they're like cookies or women. Some are much better than others. RR gets my vote every time!

Reply by Bobby Horn on August 17, 2013 at 8:32

Delete

Thank you for all your help, comments and experiences.

Reply by Tobias Gibson on August 17, 2013 at 9:09

Chuck.  If you just want to learn what to do with bone and aren't ready for knife handles have you considered  Cattle bones sold for dog chews and  guitar nut blanks?    If all you're doing is practicing this is cheaper than even frost knives 

assorted nut blanks

Reply by Chuck Parham on August 18, 2013 at 5:24

Great suggestion Tobias! The nut material may work best for now. The bone is another story. I bought a piece of bone and started to polish it for Scrimming. It is very, very time consuming to hand polish bone. To use a buffer I would have to buy a buffer, wheels, and compounds AND a ventilation system to eliminate and capture the bone dust. I have looked for someone to polish bone but the only 2 offers I had didn't pan out. 1 wanted a hefty chunk of change per bone and the other wanted to do large quantities only because of the dust issue so he could do a batch and not repeat for a while.

I am currently looking for smooth bone junkers at sales that I wouldn't normally buy just to use for this purpose. So maybe between the nut and scrap knives I can find enough material to bridge the gap between the stage I'm at now and where I'm looking to be in a year or so.

Reply by Robert Burris on August 18, 2013 at 8:10

Chuck, would deer leg bones Work? They a lot harder than cow bones. I can get a few during hunting season.

Reply by Tobias Gibson on August 18, 2013 at 11:22

This was on a white tail deer bone.  My first attempt at scrimming a bone.  I read a book and just winged it.  But to be honest I'm no stranger to an X-acto knife.  I've been cutting up wood and scribing other materials for years.  And this was a pretty simple design.

Reply by Stephen L. Corley on August 22, 2013 at 9:06

I bought a box full of Froste knives off the TV. I have found 1 that will actually stay sharp. They are cheap and made for looking at and not actually using.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service