1. Where can I pull in videos from? You can drop in the "embed" code from YouTube, or Google to the "Add a Video" page. Click the Videos tab, then the "Add Your Own Video" link. Find the "Add from YouTube or Google" button on the left hand side. You'll land on this screen: Paste the video's HTML code into the field provided and your video is live! Right now, there isn't an easy way to get a continuous feed of videos or add videos in bulk from YouTube or other services. That's another feature in the works.
2. How do I upload a video? You can upload a video by clicking on the Video tab and selecting "Add a video." You can add videos from your computer, cell phone, email account, or any service that provides video embed code like YouTube or Google Video.
3. Why does my video say it's "converting"? After you upload a video, your network will need to convert it to Flash so that your visitors can watch it without needing to install any additional software. This process usually takes between 5 and 20 minutes, depending on the length of your video. It might take a bit longer if a large video is in the queue in front of you. If your video still hasn't converted after a few hours, please contact us, and we'll get to the bottom of it.
4. How can I send in videos from my email client or phone? When you iKnifeCollector, a unique email address is assigned to your profile. You can email photos or videos, one at a time, to this email address and they will be added to your account. To view the email address for you on a network, click on the "My Settings" link on the right side of any page on a network. Click the Email tab. Find the section called "Add Photos and Videos by Email." You'll find your email address for adding photos and videos by email in this section.
5. How do I delete a video? You can delete a video by going to that video's detail page. In the toolbar to the right of the video, you'll see a link to "Delete Video." Click this link.
6. How do I give a video a title? When you're uploading a video, you have the option of creating a title and description for it. You can't title someone else's video.
7. What formats of videos can I upload? The Network supports .mov, .mp4, .mpg, .avi, .3gp and .wmv video formats.
8. How do I add a location to my video? When you upload a video, you will be prompted to add a title and description. You can also add a location to the video by clicking on the map to the right or typing a specific address. If you've already uploaded a video and want to add a location or change the location, click the "Edit Video" link to the right of the video in the video detail page.
9. Who can see my videos? You can decide who you want to be able to view your videos. You can change the default setting for this by clicking on the "My Settings" link in the box on the right column of the page to allow anyone, just your friends, or just you to see your videos. You can also override this setting as you upload each video. You can also choose who can comment on your videos in "My Settings."10. Can I subscribe to a specific member's videos using RSS? Yes! When you're looking at the member's videos page, click on the RSS link at the bottom of the page, underneath the person's videos.
11. Can I subscribe using RSS to a network's videos? Yes. In "Videos Home" under the Videos tab, click on the RSS link in the bottom left of the video box.
12. How do I share videos I like? It's easy to share videos you like. Click the "Share" link below the photo. You can copy and paste a link to the video into an email or instant message, email the video using your computer's email client, or log in and have the network send the video for you.
13. What are tags? Tags are a great way to categorize discussions, photos, and videos by their content. For example, if you start a discussion thread about your favorite knife, you may want to tag it as by its pattern name, model, and handle material, for example. You can mark an item with as many different tags as you want by clicking the "Tag" button in the toolbar next to the post on the item's detail page. You can delete a tag the same way.
14. How can I rate or favorite a video? If you see an awesome - or bad - video, let people know by rating it. Look for the stars underneath the video, on the right, and click how many stars you think the video should get. You can also add the video to your favorites if you really love it and want to be able to locate it in the future. Click the "Add to Favorites" link underneath the video. To view videos you have selected as your favorites, click the "My Favorites" link under the Videos tab.
15. How can I tell how many people have selected a video or photo as a favorite? On the photo or video's detail page, the toolbar located below the photo or video, you can see how many people have selected it as a favorite, as well as the average rating and number of people who have rated it.
16. How can I view all of the videos? To view all of the videos members have uploaded, click on the "Videos" tab. You can view the videos by latest, top rated, most viewed or random.
17. How do I see a specific member's videos only? You can view a member's videos page by clicking on their name next to a video, or by selecting the "View Videos" link under their name on the video detail page.
18. How do I use the Facebook widget? Click the link to add the video player to your Facebook profile. You will be taken to the application's add page on Facebook. Click the button to add the application to your profile.
19. How can I tell if a network I'm on has a Facebook application? Network Creators have the option to very easily set up branded music, video, and slideshow player applications on Facebook. Anyone can then add the applications to their Facebook profile to showcase their membership in the network. You will know that the Network Creator has set up a Facebook application for the network by looking at the network's main page. If there are applications, the Facebook logo and a link to add the network's application to your Facebook profile appear under the slideshow, video, or music player. If you don't see the link and logo, the Network Creator has not set up a Facebook application yet. Feel free to message him to ask for this feature!
20. How do I feature a video from a network I'm in on my website? If you find a video, slideshow, or playlist you want to add to your own personal website: Click the Embed button in the toolbar to the right of the object. Select the "Copy HTML Code" button. Go to your website and paste the HTML code into any text box. How do I use the video player widget from a network I'm a member of? On the main page of your network, you'll see a button to get your network's badge.
Click the "Get More Badges" link to see all the badges and widgets you can get from your network. Once you've found a badge or widget you want, click the "Copy HTML Code" button. Go to your MySpace page or personal website and paste the code into any text box. Why don't I see the comment wall under a specific blog post, photo, or video? If you are logged into and a member of a network and don't see the comment wall for a specific blog post, photo, or video, the member who wrote the post changed the privacy setting for comments to that blog post.
22. I sent in a video and it never arrived. What should I do? Try resending the video from your computer email account. If that still doesn't work, let us know and we'll get to the bottom of it.
23. My video thumbnail appears pixelated and unclear. What can I do? This is an implication of using Flash as our video player. If you would like your video thumbnails to look crystal clear, try uploading your videos at a resolution of 426x324.
24. How do I report an offensive video? Click "Report an Issue," which appears as a link at the bottom of every network. This will alert the Network Creator to the issue.
25. How can I add videos? To add videos to a network, go to the Videos tab and click "Add Videos." Be default, you'll be able to use the bulk uploader to add up to 30 videos at a time to the network.
The first time you use the uploader, you'll see a pop-up window that says "This applet was signed by Ning Inc and authenticated by VeriSign Inc. Do you trust this certificate?" Click the "Trust" button to proceed.
In the left pane, find the videos on your computer. To upload them, double click on a video. Or, you can drag and drop a video or a whole folder to the right pane of "Videos to Upload."
You can drag and drop the videos into the right order. To remove videos you've added to the right preview pane, you can drag them out of the preview pane and drop them, or highlight them and press the "Delete" key.
Once you're ready to upload, click the "Next" button. On the next screen, you can add titles, tags, and descriptions for your videos and choose the privacy. To apply the same information to all of the videos in this batch, fill out the top portion under "Edit Information for All Videos." Then click the button to "Apply this info to the videos below."
If you're experiencing issues with the bulk uploader, you can always use the simple uploader by clicking the link to "Return to our simple uploader" at the bottom of the page.
26. I'm having issues uploading a video. There are a few requirements for you to add a video to a network. First you need to be signed in. You also need to make your video does not exceed 100 MB in size.
We support as many video formats as we can, but there are literally thousands of video formats out there! As a result, even two video files with the same extension (such as WMV) may use different decoding algorithms. For this reason one of them may work and the other one may not, even though they have the same file extension.
We've found the iPod video format to be very reliable and recommend that you convert your videos to this format if you're experiencing issues when uploading them. There are tools available for both Windows and Mac to help you convert video files into the iPod format.
If you're using a Mac, we recommend that you try iSquint. This free application can convert most video files into a format that is compatible. To use this application simply drag the video file that you'd like to convert into the large box, select a folder to save the final file into, and click 'Start'.
If you're using a Windows PC you may want to try Videora iPod Converter. To use this application select the 'Convert' button on the main toolbar, click on the 'Video File' tab, and select Normal Mode. After this follow the on screen instructions to convert your video file.
Once your video file has been converted, try playing it using a media player such as Quicktime. If it plays back well, this will confirm that the conversion was successful. You should then be able to upload this video file through the Video tab on this site.
27. What are the best settings for a video? To get your video looking it's best we suggest using the "iPod video" format. This is h.264 mp4 with AAC audio. Also, use the size 426x324. This will give you the sharpest look.
28. With the bulk media uploader, what are the size limits for photos, videos and music? Using the bulk media uploader, you can add up to 100 photos of 10MB or less each, up to 100 songs of 20MB or less each, and up to 30 videos of 100MB or less each.